Migrating a website from one hosting provider to another can be daunting, but with the right tools and guidance, it can be a seamless process. In this tutorial, we’ll explore how to effortlessly migrate your WordPress website to Cloudways using the Cloudways Migration Plugin. Let’s dive into the step-by-step process to make your website transition hassle-free.
Getting Started: Preparing for Migration
Before we initiate the migration process, there are a few prerequisites:
Cloudways Account Setup
Ensure you have a Cloudways account set up. If not, sign up for one to get started.
Admin Access to Your Current WordPress Website
Having administrative access to your current WordPress site is crucial for the migration process.
Step-by-Step Guide to WordPress Migration on Cloudways
Step #1 — Launch an Application on Cloudways
- Start by launching a WordPress Application on Cloudways, either on a new server or an existing one.
- Name the application (for example, ‘Destination’) that will serve as the destination for the migrated website.
Step #2 — Install the Cloudways WordPress Migrator Plugin
- Log in to your existing WordPress site hosted elsewhere.
- Search and install the Cloudways WordPress Migrator Plugin. Activate it to proceed.
Step #3 — Initiating the Migration
- Enter your email address and agree to terms and conditions within the Cloudways Migrator Plugin.Input essential information like Destination Site URL, SFTP
- Host/Server Address (Cloudways server’s IP address), and Database Name.
- Find this information within your Cloudways account under Servers, Application Details, SSH/SFTP, and Database sections.
- Enter the SFTP Username and Password.
- Configure additional settings based on site protection and directories to migrate.
- Initiate the migration process.
Step #4 — Testing Your Migrated Site
- Once the migration completes, test your site by visiting your Cloudways-hosted application.
- Note that new WP-admin credentials will be available on the Cloudways Platform.
- Resolve any issues by purging the Varnish cache from the Cloudways Platform if needed.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully migrated your WordPress website to Cloudways using the Cloudways Migration Plugin. This simplified guide aimed to make the migration process easy for anyone considering a switch in hosting providers. Should you prefer a hands-off approach, Cloudways offers Managed Application Migration by their cloud experts.